Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Review -- THE OPOSSUM

The Opossum
Written by Aaron Moses
Pencils by Aaron Moses
A&A Studios
The Opossum may not sound like a superhero name to be feared, but creator Aaron Moses has actually created a rather dark hero, with the somewhat unassuming name. There is something of the Marvel’s Punisher and DC’s darker Batman efforts in this one.Don’t judge the hero by the name.“The Opossum according to Webster’s dictionary part of its definition is white beast,” said creator Aaron Moses. “I chose that particular animal because of the way it is perceived by the folks in my home town. They are disgusted by that animal. Some hate and fear the opossum; the Aztec’s would curse a family home by releasing opossums into it. So the irony of it was to have a hero in that guise as their protector and savior.”It is always intriguing when you learn the reasons behind a character name. Suddenly The Opossum is not so unusual for a hero.The story is actually inspired by Batman, not so unusual given the iconic nature of the DC character.“I was very inspired by Bob Kane’s Batman produced by DC,” said Moses. “In my troubled adolescence I wished I was a brooding dark avenger so I could get back at all the bullies that had picked on me. Initially when I sketched the idea of The Opossum down on paper, I was trying to think of a look that inspired terror. I looked out my window and my neighbor was trying to kill a three-foot long opossum. The more my neighbor would hit or smash the opossum with a rock, it wouldn’t give up, its’ sheer will to walk out alive… was impressive. “I connected with that event and I understood what that animal was going through. I was that animal at that moment, that moment of creation!”The character took a decade-and-a-half to go from idea to comic.“The idea of this story took place in late March of 1992,” said Moses. “It was drawn as a private comic book/journal that I made for myself. Then life changed for me and I was in a relationship with a young woman, it was one of those young first love relationships where we would end up together-forever, very idealistic. “The whole comic book thing then took a back seat for a while, right up until she left mysteriously in the spring of 1995. “Not knowing how to handle that emotionally I went back to The Opossum story and developed it further in to a vengeful love story of some sort, by that time I had become a huge fan of James O’Barr’s The Crow and the movie. “In spring of 2007 is when it finally became a full fledged comic book.”The story, while not outstanding, is typical of the masked vigilante books. Not the best of the genre by far, but solid enough for an Issue #1 indie release.The art is rough-edged, at times kind of crude. The effect is actually one which sets a dark mood for the book, which does fit with the character. At times a bit more definition to some of the art might be warranted, yet in terms of the book’s overall dark nature, the art is all right.The problem in the rawness of the art might detract a few for picking up the book.“I have not taken any art lessons other than looking and studying comics, movies and Burne Hogarth's Dynamic Anatomy,” said Moses. “I am influenced by so many talented artists out there James O’Barr, Todd McFarlane, Joe Quesada, Jim Lee and many more.”Moses says the book works for him.“Yes the book has met my expectations in its final production,” he said. “I love the book. It was a great experience and I learned a great deal about the processes of writing, art and comics. With hind sight I know that there could have been some parts better than others. “When it comes to the readers they are mixed reviews but all in all good remarks. I just hope that readers can give my book a chance on this first issue, issue two will show a great leap forward in improved art and skill of the comic book craft.”There is more story to tell too.“Right now my team and I are trying to finish up issue two,” said Moses. “This first story arc is establishing the character in the contemporary time line, where this is the Opossums’ second run at this super hero business. “I have the series for this first story arc pretty well thought out and I hope to make it roughly six-to-nine issues long, maybe a bit more. After this first arc I want to go back and do a flash back run where we discover what happened to The Opossum the first time around. I have a nice run of villains that I would like to go through that battle up against The Opossum.”You can go to www.theopossum.com for more information about The Opossum, page samples, news updates, fan art and you can also order a copy of the comic from there too, via a link to their online distributor: IndyPlanet.com.
-- CALVIN DANIELS

-- Appeared on Yorkton This Week WebXtra

No comments:

Post a Comment