Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Review -- CAFFIENE POISON

Caffiene Poison
Written by Jason Dube
Pencils by Braedon Kuts
Scattered Comics
It is always a pleasing experience to read a comic book which makes you think. I’m not meaning thinking in terms of great philosophical revelations, but rather the storyline has enough fresh ideas, enough questions unanswered that as a reader you are left wondering.
Writer Jason Dube manages to do that with Caffeine Poison, which two issues in still has you wondering exactly what is transpiring with the characters.
The characters initially seem like rather ordinary teens at a coffee shop, but you soon realize there is more going on -- the small dragon is a dead give-away.
The story has developing aspects of fantasy and the fantastic which you soon realize you want to be around to see unfold.
As fantastical as the storyline hints at becoming, Dube said real life was a definite influence.
“I hung out at a lot of coffee shops in my free time,” he said. “I met a lot of very colourful characters and thought — people that frequent coffee shops are so interesting, they would make great characters.
“Then it was a matter of thinking up a larger story around the environment.”
The larger environment came to Dube rather easily too.
“To be honest, I always dream up these wild stories,” he said. “One time I was writing down a dream I had when I realized that the dream was a great backdrop for the origin of the main characters. From there, the comic started writing itself.”
Artistically, Braedon Kuts is clearly a talent. The work has strong Japanese manga influences, with the work also drawing on North American cartooning. The result is a sort of whimsical style which is ideally suited to the storyline.
The black and white art will catch your attention, especially manga fans, but the story is what will keep you coming back. That’s a rather deadly combination. You have to like it — a lot.
Dube said Kuts was a natural to do the art.
“Working with the talented Braedon Kuts on a short comic before in my ‘Scattered’ series, I really wanted to have her work on this series,” he said. “She has a very dramatic style that gives both the drama and humor I wanted to show in the comic.”
The style fits because Dube said Japanese anime was a definite influence to the overall book.
“I would have to say, I really tried to capture the humor and light-heartedness that I got from watching anime shows like ‘Ranma 1/2’, and ‘Oh My Goddess’. I really like the low-stress feel of shows like that, and wanted the same sort of tone in the series,” he said.
The finished book is also one Dube said works for him as its creator.
“I am so happy and proud with how the comic turned out,” he said. “Everything really seemed to come together in the story and Braedon’s artwork really matched exactly what I was envisioning when I had it in my head,” he said.
There are also many plans tied to the title for the future.
“Well, Issue #3 comes out in a few weeks, with #4 scheduled for a February 2010 release,” he said.
“In the meantime, there is a CD soundtrack being developed to be released along with Issue #4, and I’m going to set up a coffee shop book signing tour for the summer.
“Lastly, I am going to publish a Coffee Table art book which will have artwork from various artists with work that is inspired from the series. Proceeds of the art book will go to a charity.”
The cartoon, teen elements of Caffiene Poison may not be everybody’s cup of tea, but give it a chance. You’ll soon be ordering an extra large cup of this fun comic romp.
Dube said the comic book is sold through Comixpress, Comic Works, and Haven Distribution.
“I hope everyone decides to pick up a copy and give it a read,” he said, adding “don't forget to have a cup of coffee while you read it too!”
-- CALVIN DANIELS

-- Appeared on Yorkton This Week WebXtra

No comments:

Post a Comment