Friday, September 18, 2009

Review -- AMERICAN SINNER

American Sinner
Art by Edson Alves
Written by Glenn Moane
Indie


Comic books are usually thought of as the place where creators tell fantastical stories, people with superpowers, alien works, strange impossible science.
Then there are comic book creators who simply pick up the local newspaper – no not The National Enquirer – using the headlines there to tell some truly chilling, dramatic stories.
Welcome to American Sinner written by Glenn Moane.
The story is horrific, and sadly all too real. It deals with a serial killer, and that is something scarier than any Frankenstein monster story.
Moane does a great job of weaving a story which rings true, which is essential for a tale which is set firmly in the world just outside our doors. If this story felt exaggerated at all it would quickly fall into the realm of the drek which passes for a horror movie in Hollywood. Moane stick handles past that hole in the ice slicker than Steve Yzerman on a breakaway.
Writer Moane said the real world was certainly something which influenced his work.
“I guess you can say that the news was an influence; in terms of what theme I wanted to write about that time,” he said. “I wanted to write something about a business, preferably in its worst possible incarnation. A nationwide snuff movie network seemed like a natural fit, so I went ahead with that idea.”
The characters simply grew out of the dark storyline, said Moane.
“With the concept in mind, the characters came naturally,” he said. “To me, Frank Manning is a metaphor for just another greedy company that will stop at nothing to increase its profits. Kevin is the disobedient worker, and the women they prey upon can be seen as resources that are laid to waste during the production. It’s not exactly subtle, but I couldn't resist the urge not to be.”
Moane said once the idea got into his head, it made it to paper rather quickly.
“As soon as the concept was clear to me, I started toying with various plot ideas,” he said. “As soon I settled with the present one, after about a month or so, I started to write the script. The biggest challenge for me as a Norwegian was to write dialog that didn’t feel corny or forced. I still cringe when I read some of it today, but I figure it could be a lot worse.”
While American Sinner comes from the headlines, Moane's influences are certainly set in the world of comics and scifi.
“Ah, where to start? I love the work of Warren Ellis, Brian Bendis, Jason Aaron and Brian Wood tremendously, but my favorite writer above all is Garth Ennis,” he said. “His Punisher Max run has a special place in my heart, and it directly inspired American Sinner in terms of the 'mood' I wanted the book to have.
“Also, I wouldn’t be the writer I am if not for the noir elements of Miami Vice, or the literature of (Norwegian author) Dag Solstad.
“The list goes on.”
Since the story is a real one, it was important the art work capture that too. Edson Alves is a nice fit that way. The art isn't fantastical. It's real. Look at the people and they look like you and I. That has to be the way in this book for it to work.
The book is black and white, and that really is a good fit too. Sort of reminds of the old newsreels in terms of looking in on the story.
“I found Edson through a Brazilian studio that is now called Pencil Blue Studios (http://pencilbluestudio.blogspot.com),” said Moane. “I found his samples to be quite charming, especially the way he drew faces. In the book, Frank Manning looks just like the bastard I envisioned him to be, so I’m quite happy with my choice.”
The book stands alone, almost having too given the ending, which is another nod to reality.
“The way we leave Frank and Kevin at the end of the story is the way they ended up, so there are no plans for a sequel anytime soon,” said Moane.
The finished product is most gratifying, although Moane said he sees places he would improve.
“As mentioned, there are some things I would like to change when it comes to dialog, plus some other minor bits,” he said. “Also, I think the book would look great in color, so I’m thinking about doing something about that later.”
That said the reviews have been good.
“Dan Royer’s review of the comic in his 'From the Tomb Magazine' was very kind, which is always nice,” said Moane. “I would like to reach a wider audience with this book, and to do that I have to go through other channels than the print-on-demand route, so that’s also in the works.
“But overall, I’m grateful that nobody has yet to label American Sinner as 'a misogynist piece of crap!'”
Since this is a one-shot, it's a great book in the sense you get the full deal with one purchase. It's a great way to get into the head of writer Moane, and one that while satisfying, will have you wanting more from this writer.
The good news, more stories are to come.
“I have a couple of one-shots on the way, which should interest readers who liked American Sinner, as they take place in the same universe. Frank Manning’s misdeeds will be partly responsible for events happening in The Hit (available early 2010), which again is linked to the book Homecoming (available November/December). I have just received the first pages for Homecoming and they look stunning, so check it out when the time comes,” said the writer.
American Sinner can be ordered through the Indyplanet store: http://www.indyplanet.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2130
For information regarding Moane's upcoming projects, go to http://glennmoane.blogspot.com.
-- CALVIN DANIELS
-- Appeared on Yorkton This Week WebXtra

No comments:

Post a Comment