Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Review -- GRIZZLY and CATICUS

Grizzly and Caticus
Written by Andrew Edge
Art by Andrew Edge
Cool Monkey Press
Grizzly and Caticus is one of those titles that two issues in still has me wondering exactly what is going on. That’s both good, and bad.
On one hand writer Andrew Edge is weaving a rather dark, and twisted little storyline. There are definitely some powers at play here, but Edge is keeping the details deliciously guarded over the opening two issues.
The other hand of the story is a tad confusing in its ambiguity over the first issues, and that may keep a few readers from sticking around, since comicbook readers often want a quick story fix. This is one Edge wants to have readers savor over time.
“The inspirations for Grizzly and Caticus were the culmination of a few years worth of ideas,” said Edge. “I knew I wanted to do something with them in the form of a comic but couldn’t figure out how to make the ideas work together in a story. They just seemed too random to me at the time.
“Two years ago I read ‘Catching The Big Fish’ by David Lynch, and then it became clear how to make the ideas or visions work.
“There is a beginning, middle and end to the story, but I do leave spaces open as new ideas or inspirations come to me so that I can fit them in.”
I have to say Grizzly and Caticus has one other flaw, and it comes from its production. The book utilizes glossy paper, and in issue one in particular, and to a lesser extent on issue two, the pages have sort of twisted a bit, almost like having been wet.
The art is interesting here too. Edge uses a painted style, mixing some black and white pages with coloured ones, to generally good effect.
The brush strokes have a softness, which gives the books a sort of surreal feeling, as if slightly out of focus with the real world. In that regard it fits the twists of the written story.
“As far as the look of the book, I like to use different media,” said Edge. “The hope is that all of these styles gel together at some point, and I can create my own unique voice. It also gives me a chance to test different things out, and keeps it fun as the different sections of the book can have their own style. It was definitely planned out so that the book would have different styles.”
Edge said he feels Grizzly and Caticus is growing as he progresses as writer and artist.
“I am happy that I was able to make two issues so far — the third should hopefully be out in February,” he said. “However, I always want the writing and art to get better. I believe I have achieved that somewhat with the third issue, and hopefully it will continue with the fourth and on.”
And there is more to come.
“I am hoping to make Grizzly and Caticus about 7-8 issues,” said Edge. “Once those are done I will be doing conventions, (as I am now), to help promote the book.
“It is planned to have a second series, but before that I have a couple of ideas that I may do first as one-shots.
“With doing all of the writing, art, and production work, minus the lettering, plus working the regular job it takes awhile to get these out. So I will be busy, but that is the plan.”
You can find the first two issues at Midtown Comics (http://www.facebook.com/l/d2d44;www.midtowncomics.com in the search field type Grizzly and Caticus and search in back issues; or order them directly from Edge at http://www.facebook.com/l/d2d44;www.coolmonkeypress.com. Readers can also learn more at his blog, http://www.facebook.com/l/d2d44;www.andrewedgeonline.com.
— CALVIN DANIELS

-- Appeared on Yorkton This Week WebXtra

No comments:

Post a Comment