Saturday, October 17, 2009

Review -- The Legend Of Isis

The Legend of Isis
Art by unlisted
Written by Aaron Stueve
Bluewater Comics


Isis is a Goddess and she’s hot, what more could most red-blooded comic book reading males want in a comic.
Sure that might be stereotyping comic book readers a touch, but then I again I was once a young reader, and although well-aged now, I know where my comic book roots are. The same place that makes the comic book humour of The Big Bang Theory so darned funny.
But back to The Legend of Isis, this is a book which is going to draw comparisons to DC's Wonder Woman. They are both Goddesses, and are heroines in our world. Isis is just realizing that, which at least gives the storyline some freshness.
Having only issue three to draw from makes gauging the storyline a bit difficult, because I can’t say how things developed over the first two issues.
I can say I was impressed enough by issue three to want to read more as the story unfolds.
The issue has Isis in a sword swinging battle with the Scorpion Queen which rages through the entire issues, interspersed with cuts outs to the mortal cast of he book. The fight scene art is rendered large and dramatic, and really is the heart of this book. Sadly, the inside book credits do not list a penciller, although I assume his last name is Hernawan from the exterior cover. Whoever the artist is, it’s very solid comic work.
Writer Aaron Stueve said he is working to build the base for the ongoing series.
“Darren (creator Darren Davis) told me to introduce two of his new characters – Tony and Cleo, so I had to do that somehow. Also, I was told Isis needed a bigger supporting cast, so I had to do that too,” said Stueve.
“But more importantly I also wanted to take Isis to some strange places. Basically, I wanted to mess with her head. I like the idea of a woman stuck out of her own time. But that doesn't feel like enough conflict for me, so I wanted to throw a character into the story that would make Isis wonder if anything was real, so the conflict would be more profound than before. By the end of this storyline, Isis is not only a girl stuck out of time, but she is a girl stuck out of time who isn't sure if anything is real. In a sense, I'm driving her crazy, because the next storyline builds on this one.”
Working on an ongoing story, and one not of his own creation, Stueve said he focuses on creating story arcs.
“I plan out an arc with the hopes of keeping it at four issues -- I failed on that point with this arc because it ended up being five,” he explained. “This usually takes a night or two, or three, of just rough idea and story sketching. This is followed by scripting.
“For this particular storyline I wrote a page by page description of what I wanted to happen in each issue, sent it to Darren who reviewed/edited it then sent it to the artist, who drew it.
“When the pages were done, I then went back and added all the dialogue. This isn't normally how I go about writing scripts, however, while I was writing these issues, I was also in the process of earning my MFA in creative writing, so I had a few other things on my plate.
“So from idea to book with this one I would guess it took about six-eight months because after I decide upon dialogue, the letterer letters it, the colorist colors it, the editor signs off on it, it goes to the publisher and ba-da-bing-ba-da-boom, Isis.
“Normally, I like to do page-by-page and panel-by-panel scripting with the dialogue at the same time, and that is what I am back to on Isis, which makes the creative process a little more time consuming. But I think it pays off with the finished product.”
As a writer, Stueve said he is constantly picking up ideas.
“I am influenced by everything,” he said. “I carry a notebook with me at all times and am constantly writing notes. Scenes that play out in some of my stories are scenes I have seen at malls, in stores, or on the street.
“I am also influenced by what I read, and right now I am just finishing Don Quixote, I am reading the third part in the Imaginarium Geographica series, and a wonderful book of short stories by Karen Gettert Shoemaker called Night Sounds.
“As for comics, I'm digging all the zombies in DC right now, more because I like zombie stories than what is actually happening, Evan Dorkin's Beasts of Burden is freaking phenomenal too.
“Then, as much as I hate to say this because everyone seems to hate what's going on in Marvel's Ultimate Comics line, I really liked Ultimate Avengers and Spider-Man. I also enjoy anything Mignola. The list goes on and on really.”
Stueve said so far The Legend of Isis is developing into something he truly likes.
“The final look, particularly this arc, is great,” he said. “It looks like a comic I am proud to be a part of. As far the audience and acceptance, I must admit I would like more fans. Although, there is a Facebook group fan page, which is cool.
“But I hope word gets around with this arc that Isis is going in a whole new direction that will surprise everyone. Hopefully our fan base will keep growing. I like the growth, but I'd be lying if I said I was 100 per cent happy with it. I want more growth! More!!”
Check out Isis at www.bluewaterprod.com
-- CALVIN DANIELS
-- Appeared on Yorkton This Week WebXtra

No comments:

Post a Comment