Monday, August 24, 2009

Review -- NEO-DAN

Neo-Dan
Art by Nichx
Written by Carlos Rivera
Dark Vision Comics


Neo-Dan is a new limited series (it is touted to be a 12-issue set when finished), with issue #1 produced in the smaller 'ash can' book format.
The smaller format might be considered a drawback in the sense ash can books are often seen as primarily introductory offerings, or special edition products, rather than as a style for a series, but hopefully people will still give this book a look.
Neo-Dan is worth a look because it could be the basis for a pretty solid comic book career for its creators. This series may not be top-calibre, but it hints better may yet come.
As a story, Carlos Rivera relies a bit too much on the tried and true. An evil entity returns to threaten the world, one warrior is left to stand in evil's way.
Now Rivera may throw a few curves in future issues, but in issue one the plot moves rather expectedly.
Rivera said the story really grew out of the art.
“I would explain it as I was chatting with an artist friend of mine and he was showing me his portfolio until I came across three drawings of the main characters of the book and for some reason something clicked when I saw them and began to flesh out the story until I ultimately came to the book your reviewing right now,” he said.
“The influences to me as a writer are very many. I read a lot of books when I was younger like Stephen King and J. D. Salinger when I was in high school, and of course many of the great comic book writers of the past like Gardner Fox, Stan lee, Len Wein to the modern writers who showed me there was a bigger world of story telling than just the standard characters at the big two companies like Alan Moore, Garth Ennis, and Neil Gaiman.
“And right now I'm really getting into Geoff Johns and Brian M. Bendis works.”
Artistically Nichx's work is solid, if not yet spectacular, although you get the feeling the art would be aided simply by a larger comic format so that certain panels were allowed greater impact.
The art and story have a Japanese-manga 'feel' if not being truly in the eastern-style.
“Yes I am a fan of manga titles like Naruto, Lone Wolf and Cub and of course Dragonball and the subsequent anime's that are based on those manga titles but I feel that I have easier access to anime than the mangas and of course the storytelling in these books and/or shows are impeccable from the most mundane life situation to the extraordinary life and death choices these characters have to make long story short they are very compelling stories with complex characters,” said Rivera.
For both Rivera and Nichx Neo-Dan is a nice little book that I hope is just a way to cut their teeth in the buisiness, and to gain experience.
Rivera said he is satisfied with the first issue of the series.
“The moment I held the first issue in my hands I felt a sense of accomplishment, and it has been well received by the small group of fans who have actually picked up the book,” he said. “Most of the fans I continually see at conventions regularly ask me about futures issues of Neo-Dan. So I would have to say yes the response has been good and we hope to branch out to more fans out there.”
Certainly Rivera needs to take the story into a few unforeseen twists to make the story a better effort, and Nichx will grow as an artist as he gains confidence with the material and is allowed bigger format to express his art.
Fans can look at a five-page preview at www.comicspace.com/neodan and can purchase a copy at WWW.COMIXPRESS.COM and type in the search bar for Neo-Dan.

-- CALVIN DANIELS

-- Appeared on Yorkton This Week WebXtra

No comments:

Post a Comment